loader image

Environmental Study

Environmental Study

news_cronite_red

Cronite conducts environmental studies to better measure the ecological impacts of its foundry processes.

Cronite is manufacturing about 2000 tons of net heat treatment casting a year for its customers. 75% of these fixtures are cast in Green-Sand1 molds, the remaining 25%  in Last-Wax2. Considering the Cronite Group Policy, it was natural to ask ourselves this question.

The study below gives a surprising answer: for the same net kilogram of refractory alloy cast at Cronite foundries, the Green-Sand process is 25 times better for the emissions. This result was computed by our R&D Center in Brno in October 2019.

All our customers know the main differences of those 2 processes when their fixturing solutions are made from one or the other ways. Basically Lost-Wax allows thinner and complicated shapes when Green-Sand is preferred for its better ductility, lifespan and stress resistance. Lost-wax has advantages against Green-Sand also for the precision and the surface quality.

Cronite’s Design Office knows what process to use for which product and advise its customers accordingly. At the drawing stage, Cronite’s designers decide which way to be used. Up to now, the environmental factors were not considered, as no study was available to decide.

This study will now be improved in the near future by comparing the same both processes on water consumption

comparedCo2
Compared CO2 emissions considering the foundry process for heat-treatment fixtures

1GREEN-SAND : The part are made by pouring liquid metal into a printed shape in a mix of normal sand, clay and water. No chemical is involved except the resin parttern which is made once for the all batch, and stored for the aftermarket. No major energy is required except obviously the one for melting the material.

2LOST-WAX : The part are made by pouring material into an empty hot shell. The shell is made of refractory material dried around an injected wax part. Energy is needed not only for melting bu also for drying the shell, dewaxing the shell (melting and pouring out the wax) and pre-heat the shell. The wax losses generate also son carbon emissions.

Cronite

Comments are closed.

You want to contact our team for more information ?


Leave us your details and we will contact you very soon !
By submitting this form, you agree that the information sent will be used to contact you.